Monday 23 January 2012

Super Sewing Saturday - the Crafter's Ceilidh

This weekend I was lucky to be part of the super fun day of sewing chat and fabric buying that was the Crafters Ceilidh. The meet up was organised by the lovely Debi, Kristen and Kerry, and they did an excellent job!  There were lots of sewing ladies there, some had even come up from the South to meet with us, so that was pretty exciting, plus I discovered the various sewers who live in Edinburgh and I had no idea! Me and Hannah went along, though we were somewhat late due to a slight mishap with the dress I was finishing off (more to come on that later), but we went round Armstrong’s Vintage, Edinburgh fabrics, Mandors and the Cloth Shop for hours, took a rest and pattern swap at the new Sewing CafĂ© that will be open soon and then ended up in the Voodoo Rooms for delicious food and cocktails! 


The day has already been described brilliantly by a number of more on the ball bloggers, so I won’t repeat it all too much (see the posts by Debi, Kerry, Karen, Roobedoo and Scruffybadger –sorry if I have missed anyone elses!).

As I have a massive fabric stash already, and live in Edinburgh so the shops weren’t new, I intended to be good and not buy stuff. I failed pretty significantly in this!  I held out well in Ed Fabrics, only getting some lovely turquoise lining that I split with Scruffy Badger, but then I fell off the wagon completely in Mandors at the sight of reduced price Liberty lawn, and then just kept going at the Cloth Shop!

It was lovely to meet everyone in the flesh and talk about sewing all day, with lots of chat about fabric types and wool and how to do darts well. 

When I got back home and assessed my purchases I think I did pretty well (in the “I’ve got lots of nice fabric” way, not the “stash busting” way!”).
I got some nice fabrics to make skirts out of.

And some lovely liberty and a drapey green spotty fabric to try and make blouses

I also obtained these lovelies at the pattern and fabric swap, one piece of pretty blue border print cotton for a summer dress, and some slightly mad orange eyelet  that may once have been a table cloth that I was challenged to take and make into something!




A big thanks to the organisers, it was a great day, and thanks to all the other sewistas who took the time to come along and enjoy it!

15 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the day - can't wait to see what you make with the mad eyelet fabric! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for organising everything-it was great! I am pondering eyelet thoughts... hmm...

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing what you make with that crazy orange eyelet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, it was so lovely to meet you & to swoon over your wonderful blue dress too. Can't wait to see what you use the green lining for ...... Oh, & the other wonderful fabrics you hauled (I'm glad it's not me that had intentions to keep it low key, but ended up with a bit more than that!) I will keep watching to see that orange eyelet monkeysocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I was going to be so good...sigh. It was great to meet you too!

      Delete
  4. Katie, you are so sweet , and was such a pleasure meeting you. You looked FAB LUSH in your outfit and I'm looking forward to see Hannah 1st skirt ! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too honey, I hope your hands warmed up eventually and you had a good time for the rest of your trip!

      Delete
  5. Goodness me - you made that blue dress? I was too shy to ask! It was / is gorgeous! I don't think we spoke to each other - next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honey! I did indeed make it, and it was the reason we never really spoke as I was too late to get to the "hello everyone" bit!

      Delete
  6. As I told you a hundred times, I loved your dress :) Really nice to meet you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you too honey, (and I appreciated it every time! Its always a bit scary showing a made item to other sewers who actually know what flaws to look for!)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! I am so glad you and Hannah came to the meet-up--it was great catching up! LOVED your joannie dress! And I'm glad I'm not the only local who fell off the bandwagon with fabric purchases! teehee. I've been thinking about that orange eyelet...it would make a fabby 60's or 70's dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to meet you on Saturday - LOVED the dress by the way! Can't wait to see what you make with that peach eyelet stuff!

    ReplyDelete