Tuesday 6 September 2011

Self Stitched September - a bit late

Well, I have been busy, and I haven't done any sewing, even though I have a list as long as my arm. I am in  a complete crunch point this month as I have loads of uni assignments this week, and exams in a month for which I need to do some serious revision, as well of course as the day job. Plus, as I will be applying to teaching school this month, I have also been visiting schools and need to write a kick ass personal statement. sigh. So all in all, I have a slightly better excuse for not doing any sewing than usual, in fact, I shouldn't do any (which of course makes me want to!).


To attempt to get the blog going again, without taking time away from everything else going on, I have decided (slightly late in the day) to do something I have always meant to do, take part in a self stitched month! For anyone who doesn't know, this a month where you make a pledge to wear things you have made yourself, in an attempt to wear them more, and work out what else you need. You can do this to varying degrees, depending on how much stuff you have! You also try to take a picture of yourself wearing your outfit and post it on your blog. It's all being run by the lovely Zoe, who was one of the first blogs I found. She describes the whole concept much better than I can here. A lot of people are quite hardcore about it and don't wear non-hand made stuff, but as I have only made about two tops that isn't going to work for me! (there is a lesson already!). therefore, here is my pledge (for the rest of the month!)

'I, monkeysocks, sign up as a participant of Self-Stitched-Sept '11. I endeavour to wear at least one hand stitched or refashioned item each day for the duration of September 2011'


This is going to be interesting, as I am not really sure how much stuff I have, it may get very repetitive. Also, if the weather gets nasty that is going to be tricky as a lot of the stuff I do have is quite summery! On the plus side, it will hopefully make me put slightly more effort in, and attempt to style myself/wear makeup! (I have been getting rather sloppy of late!)


As I decided this today after I got dressed, I don't have a picture for today (and in any case my hand stitched stuff is limited to the zip I mended (badly) on my skirt, and the bag my mum made, which is cheating!). Never the less, the bag is really nice, my mum made it as part of a run of them inspired by a bag my sister had that she wore to pieces. Now everyone my mum knows has one in different colours! It is cord on the outside, cotton on the inside, with pockets, and crocheted flowers. It is a great size as it just looks like a normal handbag, but you can fit masses in, including A4 things. 



No comments:

Post a Comment