Wednesday 3 November 2010

Arthur Ransome skirt

I went to the  lake district on a great road trip with friends a couple of weeks ago, and I suddenly realized that I didnt have any clothes that were suitable for a chilly October in the outdoors (even though we weren't  going to climb any mountains). therefore I decided (very late) to make something. My views on the lake district are pretty much all based on the Swallows and Amazons books by Arthur Ransome, so I clearly wanted something slightly retro and yet intensely practical, what would the amazons wear? I decided to hack up a blue wool skirt I had got from a charity shop. It was pretty simple, as it was a bit small I cut the waistband and top 8 inches off and made a new waistband and put a new zip in, and tapered the sides in to make it flare. The whole thing ended up as a shortish A-line that was very cozy for taking boat rides.

Sadly I didnt take a before picture, but it was a long straightish skirt that was 2 sizes too small.

I wore it with a fine woolley jumper, thick bright wool tights and shiny patent (but very practical) shoes.

Here is the skirt in my room (very creasy as I took it out of the washing basket for the picture) and here I am wearing it at the Pencil Factory in Keswick.

No comments:

Post a Comment