|My table at a much earlier stage - long since lost!|
Thursday, 4 February 2016
Monday, 4 January 2016
Well I guess it's that time of year... I don't really make resolutions usually but I'm in the midst of a lot of changes and I feel more transitional than usual! These aren't all sewing but ... oh well!
1) sew more. I'm making costumes for a school play but I also want to make some new stuff for myself and others. It's been too long! Plus the stash is ridiculous.
Target for Jan - 3 items and 3 alterations. This may sound a lot but I'm currently not in work so have more time.
2) get on top of flat tidyness. My flat is not ideal despite having loads of space. I'm going to have a cull and move stuff about so that everything actually has a place. This includes the sewing room which is not currently very functional!
Target for Jan - Tidy everything. Cull all storage areas.
3) be healthier. Not very original but my job got very busy last year and both cooking and exercise took a serious hit.
Target for Jan -try to cook each meal from scratch (ish -I'm going to buy bread and stuff). Don't buy oven pizza or oven chips. Go swimming and climbing each week.
Saturday, 2 January 2016
I wore it to several things and obviously didn't manage to get any decent pictures at all!
Still - here we go..
Here are some of me wearing it to my brother's wedding (rubbish weather, lovely day!)
And here I am wearing it at my graduation.
As I deleted half my blog, I actually cant remember what I had blogged about! but I certainly haven't blogged about anything in years. Hand sup confession - I haven't sewn that much either -been going through a bit of a hectic busy/fallow phase - despite now having a sewing room! Most of the things I have sewn has been very boring or dismal failures! I have had a few successes but have got rather out of the habit of taking decent photos of them!
Still - let's recap a successful project - I will try and take photos of others and upload them at some point.
Even in a low sewing phase I am always loving the costumes. Last year (We are drawing a veil over the general knackered/hissy fit that was this halloween!) I went as dead Amelia Earhart. This obviously required a flying jacket and goggles. The goggles were a triumph - I basically cut out about 20 layers of corrugated card into goggle shapes and then stuck them together, bending them round my head layer by layer so they formed a 3D shape. I love them and would like to wear them all the time!
The jacket was more of a voyage into the unknown - I have never made a proper jacket before and so collars were a bit of an adventure! I will be honest - it looks rubbish but I at least now understand it for next time! Obviously its just a costume and in any case I covered it up with the furry piece (actually cotton wadding scraps from my bombshell dress bodice making!)
Here is the only decent picture of me wearing it - I will try to take some better ones in daylight!
Thursday, 17 January 2013
Tuesday, 24 July 2012
But now it is done (I think), Lindsey still has to try it on, and there may be issues yet, but I at least fixed the zip which was the major thing holding me back.)
I still need to properly iron it, so its a bit crumpled looking, but its pretty much there. I used Jessie's pencil skirt drafting tutorial to make it, and it went together really easily (barring my own laziness!). I also added a kick pleat. I found it surprisingly hard to find orange fabric that didn't resemble safety wear, and this cotton from Mandors was a little thin, so I underlined the whole thing. The only bit I am not super happy with is the hem, which was my first real attempt (that worked at all) at a machine blind hem. It actually worked pretty well, and it looks quite nice, certainly better than a normal top-stitched one.The stitches are however a little big, and I think I didn't get the tension quite right as there are some places here it doesn't quite iron perfectly flat. there is progress in my skills yet to be made I think. Looking back though this is one of my first projects designed for normal wear (ie not a costume) that uses a block colour, and those are meant to be more difficult to look perfect.
Overall I think it is really fun, and I am pleased with it. I think I am going to use the same tutorial to make myself some pencil skirts.
These skirts will hopefully be worn with some tops made from this pattern (mainly versions of view C). I had a slight set back yesterday though when I couldn't find the back piece, I'm sure it used to have one.. I shall have to search through my random pattern pieces pile!
Thursday, 26 April 2012
These magnificent fabric choices make feel a little bit closer to the awesomeness of the lovely Oona, and her love of pattern and colour.
First we have a peacock feather cotton, probably to become a simple dress..
And then this fabulous flamingo print cotton, DESTINED to be a hawaiian stylee 50s shirt dress.
Now I just need some time to sew.....